- Organization: Montana Technological University
- Location: Butte, Montana
- Last Date: September 24, 2021
The Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology seeks a Geographic Information Systems (GIS), GIS Manager, to supervise and coordinate production of digital maps using ESRI ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Server software. In coordination with MBMG geoscientists and GIS staff, the Manager’s duties will include:
- Supervise and lead production of high-quality digital maps that meet a variety of digital standards including the U.S. Geological Survey’s STATEMAP Program digital standards (GeMS-Geologic Mapping Schema).
- Supervise and lead maintenance, updates, and archival of geochemical, geochronology, and specimen archive databases associated with the geologic mapping, geologic hazards, and economic geology programs.
- Supervise GIS staff and students
- Oversee organization and release of maps and associated data to the public via the MBMG website.
- Supervise and lead the update and revision of best management practices for creating and publishing geologic maps and associated geologic data.
- Providing services and expertise in areas of GIS for other geologic research projects, including working with geologists to interpret remote sensing data for geological mapping, fault/landslide investigations, and critical mineral studies.
- Lead training, licensing, and coordination of all GIS-related activities in the MBMG
- Lead in developing new GIS-based map projects and writing proposals for external funding.
- Master’s degree plus 8 years’ experience or Ph.D. plus 5 years’ experience (Associate Professor level) or Master’s degree plus 13 years’ experience or Ph.D. plus 10 years’ experience (Professor level) in GIS, Geography, Geology, or closely related field.
- Demonstrated experience with spatial data creation and analysis in ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro, administrative tools in ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Online, publishing and managing GIS web services, relational database management systems such as SQL Server, and version editing and spatial data management in enterprise geodatabases.
- Demonstrated experience in personnel management
- Experience working with geologic data and databases
- Experience with the U.S. Geological Survey Map Schema (GeMS)
- Geoscience background
- Experience doing geologic and morphometric interpretations based on remote sensing data (such as LiDAR, satellite imagery, UAV drone, airborne magnetic data, INSAR)
- Experience with Python scripting for task automation, shell scripting in Windows and/or Linux, and ArcGIS Enterprise deployment and administration
- Experience working with subsurface geologic data
Physical demands: Extended time working on a computer
Applications received by September 24th will be guaranteed full review and consideration. Applications received after that date may be considered until an adequate applicant pool has been established.
For full consideration application materials must be complete.
- Cover letter addressing qualifications,
- Contact information for 3 professional references.
Montana Tech is committed to providing a working and learning environment free from discrimination. As such, the University does not discriminate in the admission, access to or conduct of its educational programs and activities nor in its employment policies and practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, creed, service in the uniformed services (as defined in state and federal law), veteran status, gender, age, political beliefs, marital or family status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation or preference. In support of the University’s mission to be inclusive and diverse, applications from qualified minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged. Montana Tech makes accommodation for any known disability that may interfere with an applicant’s ability to compete in the hiring process or an employee’s ability to perform the duties of the job. In compliance with the Montana Veteran’s Employment Preference Act, Montana Tech provides preference in employment to veterans, disabled veterans, and certain eligible relatives of veterans.
To claim veteran’s preference please complete the employment (veteran’s) preference form located on the employment page and email to email@example.com. You must include the job title of the position in which you are applying.
To request an accommodation for the application or interview, please contact Cathy Isakson 406-496-4380; firstname.lastname@example.org
Montana Technological University provides a comprehensive benefits package for all eligible positions that includes health, dental and vision insurance, mandatory retirement plan with employer contribution, partial tuition waiver, and a wellness program.
Montana Technological University, Butte Montana, is nestled in the Heart of the Rocky Mountains along the Continental Divide, where I-15 and I-90 intersect. We are home to the largest National Historic District in the country. Montana Tech is a special focus institution with a reputation for excellence and value. Montana Tech is ranked #1 in the nation by CollegeNET.