- Organization: Desert Research Institute
- Location: Reno, Nevada
Job Description(GIS Technician)
The Desert Research Institute in Reno, NV is looking to hire a part-time hourly employee to perform digitizing and GIS work. Some of the duties for this position include:
- Refine and develop GIS data using aerial imagery, satellite-derived products, landcover data, and place of use data associated with water rights
- Perform basic analysis within GIS
- Produce presentations and basic reporting
- 1 year of experience with ArcGIS 10.x or QGIS software
- High school diploma or equivalent (College education preferred)
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work with little to no supervision
- Proficient use of English both spoken and written
- Enrollment in a science or technology related college major (Special consideration will be given to applicants within degree programs relating to water resources)
- A basic understanding of remote sensing data and spatial data relating to water rights in the western United States
Conditions of Employment
- Must have personal computer equipment capable of performing remote work and must have a reliable internet connection
- Responsible for attending monthly in-person meetings in one of the following locations:
- Reno, NV
- Las Vegas, NV
- Salem, OR
Average of 20 hours per week. Flexible schedule with routine, mandatory meetings.
$20/hr, No Benefits
This position requires long periods of sitting with repetitive typing and staring at computer screens.
Full-Time Equivalent 45.0%
Please upload the following documents in the specified section:
- Current resume
This posting is open until filled. Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply immediately and provide all required attachments to receive full consideration. Lists of eligible candidates will be established and hiring may occur early in the recruiting process. Recruitment will close without notice when a sufficient number of applications are received or a hiring decision has been made.
For more detailed information about DRI, please visit us at www.dri.edu. For questions regarding this position or assistance with your application, please call the recruiting office at 775-673-7431.
Posting Close Date
Note to Applicant
Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications. The search committee will use this information during the initial review of application materials.
References will be contacted at the appropriate phase of the recruitment process based on applicant notification and permission.
Newly hired faculty and postdoctoral fellows must assure that their official transcript is submitted to the Human Resources Office within 30 calendar days from the effective date of employment. Academic degrees must have been awarded by regionally accredited institutions.
This position may require a criminal background check to be conducted on the candidate(s) selected for hire.
As part of the hiring process, applicants for positions in the Nevada System of Higher Education may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform job-related tasks.
DRI employs only U.S. citizens and aliens authorized to work in the U.S. DRI only sponsors aliens applying for research faculty or postdoctoral fellow positions (J-1 or H-1B Visas).
All applicants hired by the Desert Research Institute are subject to E-Verify.
Similar GIS Jobs:
- Geospatial Bill of India 2022
- Tripura University: Junior Research Fellow
- Government Vacancy: Project Officer (GIS)
- Analyst, Geo Analytics – GAMMA
- Technical Assistant