- Organization: Portland General Electric,
- Location: Portland, Oregon
- Closing date: September 24, 2021
Description (Geographical Information Services)
This is an exciting time to join Portland General Electric. As Oregon’s largest electric utility, Portland General Electric is leading an energy transformation that will harness the power of clean and renewable resources. Our vision for a clean energy future relies on three interrelated and overarching strategies: de-carbonize through investing in clean and reliable energy; modernize through a smarter more resilient grid; and empower our customers in their energy technology choices.
We’re searching for innovative, customer and results-obsessed leaders to help power our mission and lead the way in championing the world’s clean energy future!
The Geospatial Operations Department is the heart of PGE’s Geographic Information System (GIS), and is generally responsible for creation, acquisition, maintenance, query and visualization of PGE’s system data. Data quality and end user experience are the primary drivers toward a complete and accurate GIS to support business systems and functions across the company.
As the Manager, Geographical Information Services you will coordinate activities related to geographic data, information, analytics and solutions to business operations as well as manage professional associates and/or supervisors. You will be accountable for the performance and results of a team and adapt departmental plans and priorities to address resource and operational challenges. Decisions are guided by policies, resources and business plan. You will also provide subject matter guidance to associates, colleagues and/or customers.
Field Service Support Management Oversees a team of professional employees responsible for providing geospatial information expertise to the operation; provides technical management for the team, ensuring that objectives are met and all relevant standards/procedures are followed; ensures that operational problems are identified and resolved; ensures that operational procedures and working practices are current and fit for the purpose; ensures compliance with all relevant laws, regulations and policies.
Strategy and Planning Develops and implements overall strategy and vision for the geospatial information strategy, integrating processes, data and system use; oversees development scorecard metrics for team; develops and implements plans to facilitate employee engagement.
Process Improvement Promotes continuous learning and evolution of geospatial information function, including integration of industry best practices and new ways to integrate and leverage systems and programs.
Internal Collaboration Develops and maintains relationships with IT and operational leaders; collaborates to prioritize strategic system goals to optimize geospatial information system and ensures integration with other operational systems; works with IT to evaluate, prioritize and implement system upgrades and changes.
Vendor Management Oversees all contracted work, including vendor selection, establishing metrics and service-level agreements, monitoring vendor performance and working with vendors to resolve issues.
Research and Special Projects Oversees or collaborates on oversight of operational- and technical-related initiatives and special projects; assigns subject matter experts to cross-functional projects; may oversee research and resolution of complex employee issues; oversees development and implementation of initiatives to improve operating performance or to optimize use of geospatial information system; serves as a technical and subject matter expert liaison.
Financial Management Monitors and manages expenditures, ensuring that all financial targets are met and examines any areas where budgets/expenditures vary from plan; assists with the definition and operation of effective financial controls and decision making.
Resourcing Oversees resourcing decisions and planning for team; partners with HR in the definition of jobs, recruitment, evaluation and selection processes.
Professional Development Reviews organizational development needs and training strategies to determine required learning and development outcomes for the team; provides guidance in the creation of development plans; monitors ongoing progress and provides coaching and mentoring and provides feedback; completes annual performance management reviews.
Education Requires a bachelor’s degree in geography, computer science, engineering, business, or other related field or equivalent experience (exact type of degree required may vary by position).
Experience Eight or more years in geographical information systems, including at least two years in informal or formal leadership, or equivalent level of related technical experience. Utility experience preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of Esri GIS software, tools, and data model
- Working knowledge of Schneider Electric’s suite of GIS software for utilities
- Familiarity with IQGeo GIS software and tools
- Expert knowledge of geospatial principles and techniques
- Advanced knowledge of utility distribution systems
- Working knowledge of PGE’s policies, procedures, business strategy, customer service objectives, tariffs and regulations
- Advanced skills in resolving and addressing employee relations issues
- Advanced skills in coaching, development and performance management
- Advanced analytical thinking skills
- Advanced change leadership skills
- Advanced customer focus skills
- Advanced decision-making skills
- Advanced organization and prioritization skills
- Advanced problem-solving skills
- Intermediate resource management skills
- Advanced written and oral communication skills
- Leader Practices: Drives Results, Plans and Aligns, Decision Quality, Drives Engagement, Courage
- Driving/travel/commute: Daily within service territory – Occasionally (one to two times a month or less)
- Driving/travel/commute: Overnight inside/outside the service territory – Occasionally (one to two times a month or less)
Join us today and power your potential!
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the posting close date. A cover letter may be needed with your application to be considered for this position.
PGE believes in rewarding strong performance. We provide a total compensation package that is designed to reward your contributions to the company, and, at the same time, support your well-being and professional development, both now and into the future.
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
Talent Acquisition Contact:
The posting closes at midnight (Pacific Time) on the closing date below: September 24, 2021
- GIS Technician
- Manager: Geographical Information Services (Portland)
- Postdoctoral Researcher: Remote Sensing of Peatlands
- Lead GIS Developer (Taunton, England)
- GIS Manager – Associate Professor or Professor