- Organization: UK Hydrographic Office
- Salary: £42,507 – £45,571/yr
- Location: Taunton, Somerset,England, United Kingdom
- Contract type: Permanent
- Hours: Part time, Full-time, Flexible working
- Closing date: 11:55 pm on 3rd October 2021
Job Description (Lead GIS Developer):
If you offer considerable experience of working with geospatial technology and software/technical architecture and programming, this position offers an exciting opportunity to play a key role in the production of Proof-of-Concept products and services for the UK Hydrographic Office (UKHO).
About the UKHO
UKHO is an executive agency, sponsored by the Ministry of Defence. We work with a wide range of data partners to chart the world’s oceans in order to develop and serve world leading software and data solutions to commercial shipping companies, navies and maritime organisations.
The Lead GIS Developer will be based in the UKHO’s Customer Division, which is responsible for generating commercial revenue. Whether it’s a paper chart or the latest software development for one of our digital products, Customer Division’s role is to adapt to meet the needs of the market we serve. ADMIRALTY Maritime Data Solutions, our market-leading brand, is used by 90% of ships trading internationally and relied upon by mariners for safe navigation.
The Lead GIS Developer will manage and lead a team of three GIS Developers to carry out the production of Proof-of-Concept products and services, based on UX insight and conforming to UX design principles. Furthermore, this role will act as a technical and geospatial data expert using experience and knowledge to support, influence and improve knowledge in other areas within Customer Division and the wider UKHO.
Key responsibilities of the post include:
- Performing GIS development and developing concepts with the appropriate tools (software or applications)
- Presenting Proof-of-Concept demonstrations and recommended solutions to senior management
- Conducting technology evaluations of related and emerging geospatial solutions and technology to determine their suitability for UKHO in next generation products and services
- Acting as the technical lead for the UKHO’s market stimulating Marine Innovation Programme accelerator -https://www.admiralty.co.uk/innovation-programme
The ideal candidate will require experience in best practice geospatial technology – ArcGIS + Server, OGC Standards and GIS Platforms – as well as experience of software/technical architecture and programming including Python, Java Script & SQL. Experience of using cloud environments, differing operating systems (Windows and Linux) and virtual environments is equally important.
UKHO is a great place in which to explore your career potential. While our projects are career-defining, the work/life balance that we can offer you is equally exceptional. From flexitime, flexible working, an award-winning office environment and a generous annual leave allowance of 34.5 days including public holidays, the opportunities open to you here are hard to beat.
For a full job description, including the assessment criteria, please click the apply button to be taken to our website.
Closing date: 11:55 pm on 3rd October 2021.
UKHO embraces diversity and promotes inclusion and equality of opportunity. We are a Disability Confident employer, which includes offering a guaranteed interview to candidates with disabilities, providing they meet the minimum selection criteria.