- Organization: Commerce City
- Location: Commerce City, Colorado
- Salary: $62,088.00 – $93,142.40 Yearly
- Address: 7887 E 60th Ave, Commerce City, Colorado, 80022
Job Description (GIS Developer):
General Purpose: The GIS Developer provides advanced technical support for GIS services and serves as a technical lead on various projects. The GIS Developer provides advanced analysis and display of geographic data to staff, citizens, and other stakeholders. The GIS Developer provides a broad range of application development, web development, and database maintenance.
The hiring range for this position $62,089 – $77,611 annually.
Please apply as soon as you are able, as this position will close without advance notice as soon as we receive a sufficient number of qualified candidates.
The City of Commerce City has temporarily adopted a hybrid work environment that includes remote (telework) and in-person duties. The flexibility in the assigned work schedule is subject to change based on the finalization of the Return to Work policy.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs a variety of GIS data modeling, conversion, maintenance, quality assurance, and documentation tasks
- Performs routine SQL database maintenance (for a versioned enterprise GIS using GDB tools and Python)
- Administers ArcGIS and maintains ArcGIS Online at the Administrator Role
- Facilitates installation, maintenance, and upgrades of GIS hardware and software on desktops and servers
- Serves as technical lead on a wide variety of GIS projects
- Provides tier 2/3 support for the diagnosis, repair, and maintenance of the ArcGIS platform, database, and software and escalates to vendors as needed
- Providers tier 2/3 incident and service request support for City staff
- Utilizes multiple API’s for web development and communicating with multiple enterprise solutions.
- Creates and maintains public-facing interactive GIS webpages
- Works with City departments to identify and create geospatial data, maps, applications, analysis, and reports
- Develop and manages GIS mobile applications and offline editing
- Conducts and coordinates GIS training to GIS team and City staff
- Stay current on GIS technologies and recommend new or additional GIS hardware and software to fulfill the organization’s needs
- Assures integration of business process and systems within the framework of the goals and objectives of the IT strategic plan
- Assists in developing GIS strategies, policies and standards and ensures that GIS products are in compliance
- Updates, maintains and troubleshoots web services
- Assists with managing and maintaining imagery data
- Creates and maintains metadata according to division standards
- Participates in an afterhours, on call rotation
- Document all work products and progress in the IT Service Management System
- All employees must model and demonstrate the City Values at all times during the course of employment; to include: Integrity, Collaboration, Innovation, Respect and Excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of ArcGIS including ArcMap and ArcPro
- Advanced knowledge of GIS, geography, and cartography
- Working knowledge of geodesy
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Workstation and Server Operating Systems
- Strong knowledge of enterprise database maintenance such as compress, analyze statistics, and other routine functions
- Strong Knowledge of Application and Web Development
- Working knowledge of ITIL
- Advanced knowledge of ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Platform
- Strong knowledge of SQL script and Python to perform basic and repetitive GIS tasks
- Strong knowledge of SQL Server including administration, configuration, and maintenance
- Working knowledge of GPS theory and data collection
- Understanding of Computer-Aided Design (CAD) software
- Ability to edit and reconcile in a versioned enterprise editing environment
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to provide attention to detail
- Ability to read and interpret legal descriptions and use ArcGIS COGO tools
Equipment Used, Work Environment and Physical Activities
- Driving: May drive a City or personal vehicle during the course of business
- Office equipment: Daily use of a personal computer, copier, network servers, GIS software, MS Office software printer, and large format plotters and scanner
- Other equipment: GPS
- Physical activities: Light physical activity that may include walking, sitting, standing, stooping, bending, reaching, lifting and carrying
- Lifting: Occasionally lifts, carries, and exerts up to 50 pounds
- Vision and hearing: Must have visual acuity to see and read paper and electronic documents. Must be able to answer telephones, communicate conversation, and respond to verbal inquires.
- Exposure to environmental conditions: Position generally works in an office setting with overhead lighting and long periods of screen time. May be exposed to environmental factors including extreme heat, cold, dry, and wet conditions.
- Schedule: Position generally scheduled Monday – Friday; occasional weekend work. May require attendance at evening meetings or after-hour events. May require attendance at off-site meetings. May be required for on-call duty or rotation shifts.
- Additional Working Conditions: May be exposed to work settings that vary in convenience and comfort.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications. Employees are accountable for all duties associated with this position.
- GIS Technician
- Manager: Geographical Information Services (Portland)
- Postdoctoral Researcher: Remote Sensing of Peatlands
- Lead GIS Developer (Taunton, England)
- GIS Manager – Associate Professor or Professor