- Organization: County of Volusia
- Location: DeLand, Florida
- Deadline: 11/3/2021 11:59 PM Eastern
Job Description (GIS Specialist):
The County of Volusia is seeking a GIS Specialist I position in the Road and Bridge division. This position is located in Deland, Florida, and will be progressively responsible for technical work providing assistance to client agencies and the department on the effective operation and utilization of GIS technology and applications. Illustrative Duties
(NOTE: These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position.)
- Provides mapping and graphics assistance to the Road & Bridge and Stormwater Divisions.
- Assists in the preparation and maintenance of various map layers, including centerline streets and drainage assets.
- Edits and maintains departmental base map layers.
- Prepares maps, charts and drawings from aerial photos and other survey data and identifies features and cartographic detail.
- Conducts field work as required with regard to inspection of countywide drainage system.
- Uses CCTV camera truck to inspect countywide drainage system
- Report inspection findings and supply video recordings as needed
- Collects and maintains a database of County information for data and graphics presentation purposes.
- May be assigned to other county locations based upon operational needs.
- Attends work on a regular and consistent basis.
- Must adhere to Federal, State, County and Local ordinances.
- Responds to emergency situations.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Graduation from high school or GED, and one (1) year of experience with ARCView or two (2) years with equivalent GIS software. A comparable amount of education, training, or experience may be substituted for the minimum experience.
Must possess and maintain a valid Florida driver’s license. Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of principles, techniques and terminology of geodetic control, cartography, and geographic information systems.
- Knowledge of ArcView or ArcGIS software capabilities and commands.
- Knowledge of basic math functions, geometry and legal descriptions.
- Basic knowledge of personal computer operation and computer software (database, spreadsheets, word processing, email).
- Read & interpret legal descriptions; read and comprehend maps; read and comprehend technical manuals, instructions, procedures, letters and memos.
- Ability to analyze data and develop conclusions.
- Ability to adapt to changing GIS technology.
- Ability to perform a wide range of GIS related tasks including training, troubleshooting, quality assurance and macro development.
- Familiarity with GIS workstations and networking technology.
- Ability to document project details.
- Produce presentation quality displays.
- Ability to distinguish closely related colors and shades.
- Ability to operate graphic display devices and related peripherals.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees within and outside GIS.
Physical Demands: Generally sedentary work. Ability to see, talk; grasp, finger dexterity. Depending on area of assignment, may require ability to walk, kneel, crouch, reach, carry, push, or pull in construction or undeveloped areas including marshy and muddy conditions. Clarity of vision, with the ability to identify and distinguish colors with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to comprehend written work and electronic materials at arm’s length or less (distinguish letters and numbers) and to see in detail, objects or printed material at greater than arm’s length. (Peripheral vision, depth perception, color acuity) necessary to operate a motorized vehicle and review schematics.
Mental Demands: Ability to read and comprehend technical manuals, instructions, procedures; memos, letters. Ability to write complex documents relaying instructions, information, details and data. Ability to speak sufficient to assimilate and communicate methods and information relating to the assigned field. Ability to perform general mathematical functions. Ability to read maps and layout work.
Environmental Demands: Primarily inside work with limited field work required.
For Latest GIS Jobs: Click Here
- GIS Technician
- Manager: Geographical Information Services (Portland)
- Postdoctoral Researcher: Remote Sensing of Peatlands
- Lead GIS Developer (Taunton, England)
- GIS Manager – Associate Professor or Professor
|Job Category||RS and GIS|