- Organization: NatureServe
- Location: Arlington, VA
- Type: Full-time
- Min. Experience: Some Experience
For nearly 50 years, NatureServe has been the authoritative source for biodiversity data throughout the Western Hemisphere. With an international network of nearly 100 natural heritage programs across the United States, Canada, and Latin America, NatureServe is the leading source of information on rare and endangered species and threatened ecosystems. To protect threatened biodiversity, NatureServe works with over 1,000 conservation scientists to collect, aggregate, and standardize biodiversity statistics, providing comprehensive data to the public for strategic conservation efforts. NatureServe and its network programs develop and manage the most comprehensive data for over 100,000 species and ecosystems, answering fundamental questions about what exists, where it is found, and how it is doing.
NatureServe offers full-time employees a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- 401K savings and retirement plan with matching contributions
- Health and dental insurance
- Short and long-term disability
- Annual and sick leave
- Life insurance
- Telework/Flex work
The Geospatial Strategist is responsible for developing and implementing a cohesive GIS strategy that supports NatureServe’s collection, curation, analysis, and communication of biodiversity location data. We are seeking mid-career candidates with 7-10 years of professional experience applying GIS technology and designing systems to meet business needs – and who could enthusiastically use those skills to meet the needs of a threatened planet.
The Geospatial Strategist will lead efforts to re-architect our GIS infrastructure and workflows and oversee implementation of new processes to improve the efficiency and reach of our spatial analysis program. The position will be expected to understand the overall status of the organization’s GIS implementation, design and describe all key workflows, guide ongoing projects, and plan for future development, upgrades and changes to the data management and spatial analysis environments. The ideal candidate will be a strategic problem solver with deep technical knowledge, who can guide NatureServe in developing optimal pathways for managing geospatial data, support efficient data analysis workflows, and connect our geospatial products with data consumers. Applicants should have a broad understanding of GIS concepts, the ability to understand organizational dynamics and needs of related business units, and enough technical depth to effectively guide developers, information technology staff, and a GIS Enterprise Administrator.
NatureServe is both a conservation non-profit and technology innovator. You will join a talented, dedicated team of scientists, conservation professionals, and software engineers that work together as members of agile teams. Your work will include helping to grow NatureServe’s Microsoft AI for Earth-supported habitat modeling initiative and implementing an AWS Imagine-supported reimagining of our bioinformatics systems. Visit our story map to learn more about NatureServe’s work.
- Oversee the cloud GIS strategy and technical implementation
- Lead point of contact working with Esri Technical Advisor to coordinate technical work plan activities for implementing NatureServe’s geospatial strategy
- Lead point of contact working with Esri Partner Manager to design and oversee NatureServe’s Esri business partner plan
- Coordinate NatureServe’s ArcGIS Online presence through the ArcGIS Marketplace, Living Atlas, ArcGIS Hub and Open Data sites
- Coordinate with Spatial Analysis team to design, document and streamline GIS workflows
- Design and implement a data management process for key spatial data products, including habitat models
- Develop standards and best practices for GIS deployment and use
- Provide oversight to enterprise GIS staff and/or serve as GIS enterprise administrator
- Serve as a liaison for Spatial Analysis team to ensure cross-coordination and implementation of the organization’s geospatial strategy among Data & Methods, Science & Programs, Technology & Partnerships, and Communications teams
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- 7+ years of experience leveraging the full ArcGIS enterprise suite of tools, including cloud GIS technical implementation experience
- Experience in technical consulting and conceptual solution design
- Understanding of ArcGIS from an IT context (e.g., hardware, software, storage, security, networking, servers, databases, web services, virtualization, cloud computing)
- Demonstrated experience applying online technology (e.g. ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Hub, ArcGIS Marketplace) to connect data consumers with spatial data products
- Experience with geodatabases and underlying DBMS technology such as PostgreSQL
- Excellent communicator with an ability to clearly convey technical ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and the ability to multi-task
- Demonstrated flexibility, self-awareness, professional integrity, and cultural competence – including commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Willingness to work from NatureServe’s Arlington, VA office preferred.
The following skills are not requirements but would be very beneficial:
- Understands NatureServe’s mission and demonstrates a commitment to conservation
- Proficiency with issue tracking software and help desk ticketing systems, e.g. Jira and Freshdesk
- Proficiency with Python for scripting in ArcGIS enterprise suite of tools?
- Knowledge of Azure/AWS
We consider candidates from any educational background. We value your ability to solve problems over your formal education credentials.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to travel independently and attend conferences and meetings
- Ability to speak clearly and hear well, to participate effectively in telecommunications with network members and partners
- Ability to conform to standard office hours
- Typing and repetitive motions associated with computer keyboarding responsibilities
NATURESERVE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
An equal opportunity, reasonable accommodations employer, NatureServe complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. If you need accommodation in the employment process or this document in an alternative format, please contact our office at 703-908-1840 or [email protected]. We stand in support of equality for and advancement of all people based on their qualifications and actions alone without regard to color, gender, age, religion, national origin, or disability.
- GIS Technician
- Manager: Geographical Information Services (Portland)
- Postdoctoral Researcher: Remote Sensing of Peatlands
- Lead GIS Developer (Taunton, England)
- GIS Manager – Associate Professor or Professor