Result of Service
Develop the Berbera Spatial Database
Work Location: Berbera
Expected duration: 2 months
Duties and Responsibilities:
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. UN-Habitat helps the urban poor by transforming cities into safer, healthier, greener places with better opportunities where everyone can live in with dignity. It works with organizations at every level, including all spheres of government, civil society and the private sector to help build, manage, plan and finance sustainable urban development. The post is located within the Somalia Programme, Regional Office for Africa (ROAF).
The Berbera Urban Development Project will focus on sustainable and economically gainful waste management, employment creation, minimized waste generation, innovative and appropriate use of existing resources, reuse of materials, and awareness raising on the concepts of well managed growth through a more circular approach to economic development.
The overall objective of the project is to contribute to inclusive and sustainable urban development and economic growth in Berbera through improved waste management infrastructure and services. The intervention aims at bridging the gap between the urban poor and the local government, by strengthening inclusive governance, enabling the provision of improved services, and creating related employment in Berbera. Local development potential will be unlocked through a well formulated long- term waste management strategy and the mobilization of capital investment needed for the development of infrastructure and basic service delivery for all, with focus on the urban poor. The project will increase municipal capacities in the areas of urban environment and waste management, planning and implementation of associated infrastructure, service delivery and the creation of livelihood opportunities for young people in the circular economy.
The overall objective of the consultancy is to prepare Berbera Spatial Database (BSD). The BSD is an object-relational spatial database which shall serve to store the current urban development situation data, urban development plans, the updates of future developments as well as the possibility to generate plan implementation reports. The BSD will form a digital system which sets an informed basis for developing spatial policies and supports management of territorial development. Furthermore, the database and the gained knowledge through this activity shall serve the Berbera Municipal Authority (BMA) to conduct in an entire digital form future property registration survey.
The BSD will consist of three datasets:
1) Base map, which presents the current situation of various thematic fields.
2) Urban plans, including the strategic urban development plan and the detailed spatial development plan.
3) Investments, including capital projects that are implemented in Berbera by public and private entities. This dataset shall be populated regularly by the responsible BMA officials.
The BSD will include the following key features:
• Multiple user type: The BSD predefines two types of users – (1) BSD manager who can view, edit and introduce new data to the BSD, and (2) viewer who can only view the data introduced in the BSD. However, it provides the possibility to develop other user types with specific system privileges as deemed necessary.
• Dataset freeze: The BSD enables the users to freeze selected datasets i.e., disable the adjustment of selected data such as the approved urban development plans, 2021 base map, etc.
• URF nomenclature: The BSD has the URF colour and coding system embedded.
• Multiple scales: The BSD shows the level of details of the spatial elements based on the selected scale by the user.
• Plan and capital investments alignment assessment: The system identifies the synergies and discrepancies between the datasets, enabling the user the access, e.g., the level of alignment between the urban plan (dataset) and the implemented capital projects under the investment dataset.
Under the overall coordination of the Officer in Charge and under the direct supervision of the Berbera Urban Development Project Manager, and supported by the Planning Consultants, the GIS/Spatial Data Analyst Consultant will deliver the following outputs:
1) Create server
2) Provide user’s permission (administrators role)
3) Install database tools
4) Create Database
5) Digitalize the Berbera functional urban area
6) Train 1-5 Berbera Municipal Authority staff on Q-field (or input App) and QGIS
7) Provide technical support to field data collection activities and check data
8) Draft BSD Management Protocol
9) Draft BSD Management Guidelines
10) Train key BMA staff on Database ManagementQualifications/special skills
Academic Qualifications: Bachelors University degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Internet of Things Engineering or any other relevant field to information sciences, database design and management is required.
Experience: At least 4 years working on databases is required. Previous work experience related to development Municipal and/or Spatial Databases with international agencies is a major asset.
Language: Strong written and oral skills in English is a requirement. Knowledge of Somali language will be a major asset.No Fee
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
- Global Positioning System (GPS) related Interview Questions & Answers
- Remote Sensing related Interview Questions & Answers
- pdf converter
- Geospatial Bill of India 2022
- Age Calculator