- Organization: UNDP
- Location: Aurangabad, India
- Deadline: 11/11/2021, 10:29 pm
Job Description (City Project Coordinator):
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Maharashtra is one of the most disaster-prone states in the country which is equally vulnerable to natural as well as manmade disasters alike. The geographical location as well as demography of the State along with its climatology and rapid industrialisation makes the state vulnerable to a host of hydro-meteorological, geological disasters as well as other human-made disasters like Industrial accidents etc.
UNDP has been providing technical support to the Maharashtra State Government in various Disaster Risk Reduction related initiatives over the past three decades. In the aftermath of the Floods of 2019, UNDP developed a comprehensive Recovery Programme for the State Government. In continuation, the Disaster Management, Relief & Rehabilitation department which serves as the executive arm of the State Disaster Management Authority for Maharashtra and has requested the UNDP to support the State Government in accessing the resources available under the provisions made by the XV finance commission along with developing a long term, multi-sectoral capacity building and mitigation roadmap for the state.
It has also been requested to strengthen the SDMA by providing Disaster Management professionals with a better risk-sensitive planning. The UNDP will also be supporting the State in strengthening Urban resilience planning capabilities in three cities namely Aurangabad, Nashik and Nagpur. By building the technical capacities of the state the project will also work towards implementing the larger component of the project on Mainstreaming Disaster Risk Management and building urban resilience in the state. In this context, UNDP wishes to hire a City Project Coordinator to be based in the Municipal Corporation of Aurangabad and assist the Corporation in carrying out various activities for building urban resilience. The individual will support the day to day functioning of the municipal corporation and will also support the UNDP in the implementation of the project. The City Project Coordinator will report to the Programme Officer, Resilience and will work under the overall guidance of the Head, EER Unit.
Duties and Responsibilities
The City Project Coordinator will work with the Municipal Corporation of Aurangabad and will be stationed at the Municipal Corporation of Aurangabad. The City Project Coordinator will report to the Programme Officer, Resilience. The City Project Coordinator will be expected to assist the Municipal Commissioner in managing the successful implementation of the program at the city level. The City Coordinator will be expected to assist the corporation in carrying out Hazard Risk Vulnerability Analysis of the city, assist in creating Disaster Management Plans for the city as well as various departments, mainstreaming of Disaster Risk Reduction as well as climate change adaptation into the developmental planning initiatives.
The appointee will also have to support the corporation in organising and executing various orientation and training programs for multiple target groups. The appointee will also be expected to assist the corporation in setting up a functional disaster emergency operations centre as well and also carry out any other work Disaster Risk Reduction Work as assigned by the UNDP.
The City Coordinator will also be expected to assist the State Coordinator to prepare proposals, reports and any other work that will help in harnessing the funds from the Central Government under the 15th Finance Commission for Disaster Management initiatives. Finally, the appointee will have to serve as the link between the State Government, the UNDP and the Municipal Corporation for various DRR related initiatives that may be taken up by the Municipal Corporation. Summary of Key Functions:
- Support the corporation in carrying out Hazard Risk Vulnerability Assessment for the city.
- Assist in the creation of Disaster Management Plans for wards and the city as a whole.
- Assist the corporation in the implementation of various climate change adaptation initiatives.
- Mainstreaming Disaster Risk Reduction in developmental planning initiatives of the Corporation through consultative processes with various line departments.
- Assist in the creation of modules for various DRR related orientations and training.
- Organise First Aid and Rescue trainings, mason and engineering trainings in safe construction, school safety trainings and other DRR related trainings.
- Assist in the development of Hospital and School Safety plans for the corporation.
- Assisting the corporation in the development and designing of various IEC material for Disaster Risk Reduction.
- Assisting in creating various reports pertaining to DRR for the corporation.
- Support in organising structural audits for lifeline structures.
- Assist in setting up and functioning of an Emergency Operations Center in the Corporation.
- Support the corporation in day to day implementation of the projects related to DRR and also provide the inputs in the day to day implementation of the projects under the Resilience portfolio of UNDP.
- Independently manage the implementation of the Community Resilience initiatives at the city level.
- Develop the mandatory quarterly reports and help in the monitoring of the project activities.
- Support the unit in preparation of the Annual Work Plans and associated budgets.
- Assist the State Government in preparation of various proposals, reports, DPRs and carry out any other activities for the harnessing of the funds for Disaster Management under the 15th Finance Commission under the supervision of the State Coordinator for the UNDP program.
- Support in any other task as directed by the supervisor.
- Ability to create concise reports and prepare detailed project proposals.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to integrate technology into various aspects of the project for planning, rollout, and monitoring.
- Ability to liaise with various departments and advocate for DRR linkages wherever necessary.
Required Skills and Experience Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Disaster Management, Environmental Sciences or relevant courses.
- Minimum 4 years of relevant work experience in the area of Disaster Management/ Disaster Risk Reduction.
- Basic knowledge of Disaster Management Functioning Framework at the State Level and well as sound knowledge of the functioning of the State Government is essential.
- High-level of IT/computing skills (minimum: Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization is desirable.
- Experience in working with the State/ Central Governments and know about their functioning is desirable.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of Hindi and Marathi is desirable.
- This position includes any official travel expected to be associated with performing the functions.
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders) Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment. UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications. Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements. Scam warning The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Government GIS Jobs in India
- GIS Jobs in Bangalore
- GIS Jobs in Hyderabad/ Secunderabad
- GIS Jobs in Delhi/Gurgaon/Noida
- GIS Jobs in Mumbai/Maharashtra
- GIS Jobs in Kolkata
- GIS Jobs in Pune
- GIS Jobs in Chennai