Senior Associate-Geospatial Lab (Image Processing and Machine Learning)
About the Geospatial Lab
The Geospatial Lab is the centre for spatial research, consulting and capacity building activities at IIHS. It cuts across programmes and teams integrating spatial technology and methods such as GIS, remote sensing, spatial modeling and web services into practice and consulting services as well as inter-disciplinary research.
Its location in the IIHS ecosystem makes the Lab uniquely placed to offer customized project design and delivery, on the one hand, and institutional support, capacity building, training and teaching to a diverse range of learners on the other.
As it grows, the Lab plans to become a national hub for geo-spatial sciences and technology that combines technological innovation and process expertise with inter-disciplinary knowledge generation.
The Senior Associate – Geospatial Lab shall be housed in the Geospatial Lab at IIHS and support the ongoing research and practice projects at the lab.
Activities and Tasks
Responsibilities would include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Developing methods and automated workflows for processing satellite imagery and other spatial datasets;
- Developing new machine learning algorithms for land cover and land use classification and estimating population and socio-economic characteristics from satellite imagery and other related datasets;
- Handling multiple sources of high and medium resolution images of a large geographical area;
- Contributing and supervising the ongoing research, practice and capacity building projects, especially the PEAK (Prediction and projection, Emergent urbanism, Adopted knowledge, Knowledge exchange) and the India Data Cube projects;
- Contributing to the technical content of new research proposals and consultancy projects;
- Publishing in high quality scientific journals and disseminating results on other platforms;
- Interacting with the other members of the interdisciplinary team to exchange ideas and to identify new opportunities for collaborative work on a regular basis;
- Supporting day-to-day operations of the lab, including project management;
- Teaching, developing training materials and exercises, course coordination of the teaching and capacity building programs;
- Providing support to other IIHS activities including academics, research, practice, training, operations and others;
- Participating in all activities of Institution-Building at IIHS; carrying out tasks as assigned by IIHS; and traveling on IIHS work within and outside the country as needed.
Structure and Reporting
The Senior Associate – Geospatial Lab will report to the Lead – Research and the Consultant – Practice at IIHS and will be required to collaborate effectively with a diverse group of internal teams and external individuals/organizations, and students.
Applicants for this role should have:
- A Master’s degree in Computer Science/Geoinformatics or related disciplines with a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field;
- 5 years of work experience, including at least 2 years working with remote sensing data;
- Strong working knowledge of machine learning and image processing techniques, tools and libraries;
- Strong programming skills in Python or R;
- Familiarity with deep learning frameworks such as TensorFlow or PyTorch would be desirable;
- Prior work experience with urban data and urban focused institutions would be an added advantage;
- Experience in the implementation of algorithms in cloud platforms, especially on AWS;
- Openness to work in highly interdisciplinary teams;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Ablity to work flexible hours from time to time.
This offer is on an exclusive basis, which implies that other professional assignments (whether compensated or not) that bear a potential conflict of interest with IIHS cannot be undertaken.
The search will remain open until the position is filled.
This position is based in Bengaluru and may entail travel to other locations in India.
Review and Assessment
The role and performance of the incumbent shall be subject to normal review and assessment systems at IIHS.
IIHS is an equal opportunity employer that encourages women, people with disabilities and those from economically and socially excluded communities with the requisite skills and qualifications to apply for positions.
Please write to us at [email protected] if you need any clarifications while filling the online application form.