The Senior Associate/Consultant shall be housed in the Geospatial Lab at IIHS and support the ongoing research and practice projects at the lab, with specific focus on activities involving geoinformatics and/or computer science.
Activities and Tasks
Responsibilities would include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Developing methods and automated workflows for spatial analysis and remote sensing;
- Contributing to, and supervising, ongoing research, practice and capacity building projects;
- Contributing to the technical content of new research proposals and consultancy projects;
- Publishing in high quality scientific journals and disseminating results on other platforms;
- Building networks and partnerships at national and international levels;
- Supporting day-to-day operations of the lab, including project management;
- Guiding and mentoring junior team members;
- Teaching, developing training materials and exercises, course coordination of the teaching and capacity building programs;
- Providing support to other IIHS activities including academics, research, practice, training, operations and other activities;
- Participating in all activities of Institution-building at IIHS; carrying out tasks as assigned by IIHS; and travelling on IIHS work within and outside the country as needed.
Structure and Reporting
The Senior Associate/Consultant – Geospatial Lab will report to the Lead – Research and the Consultant – Practice at IIHS and will be required to collaborate effectively with a diverse group of internal teams and external individuals/organisations, and students.
Applicants for this role should have:
- A Master’s degree in Geoinformatics/Computer Science or related disciplines with a minimum of 5 years of work experience;
- Experience in using one or more open-source geospatial applications and services (QGIS, SAGA, GRASS, PostGIS, Geoserver, SNAP, WhiteBox, etc.);
- Experience in developing web-based GIS analytical platforms using open-source tools on the Cloud (TerriaJS, Openlayers, Leaflet, etc.);
- Experience in implementing spatial algorithms on cloud-platforms (Google Earth Engine, AWS etc.);
- Experience in handling and analysis of large scale Optical and Radar satellite data;
- Expertise in advanced statistical analysis / geostatistics is desirable;
- Familiarity with Hyperspectral data, machine Learning methods and APIs (TensorFlow, Scikit-learn, Torch, etc.) would be an added advantage;
- Prior work experience with urban data and urban focused institutions would be useful;
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work in highly interdisciplinary teams;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Openness to working flexible hours from time to time as needed.
This offer is on an exclusive basis, which implies that other professional assignments (whether compensated or not) that bear a potential conflict of interest with IIHS cannot be undertaken.
The search will remain open until the position is filled.
This position is based in Bengaluru and may entail travel to other locations in India.
Review and Assessment
The role and performance of the incumbent shall be subject to normal review and assessment systems at IIHS.
IIHS is an equal opportunity employer that encourages women, people with disabilities and those from economically and socially excluded communities with the requisite skills and qualifications to apply for positions.
Please write to us at [email protected] if you need any clarifications while filling the online application form.