- Location: University of Redlands, Redlands, CA 92374, USA
- DEPARTMENT: Center for Spatial Studies
- APPOINTMENT: Administrative, full-time, Twelve (12) months
- BENEFITS OVERVIEW: BROCHURE
- INTRODUCTORY PERIOD: Twelve (12) months
- POSITION AVAILABLE: Immediately
- POSTING DATE: August 9, 2022
- POSTING DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
Definition of Classification: Spatial Instruction Manager-GIS
The Spatial Instruction Manager identifies appropriate technological and pedagogical strategies for conducting spatial instruction at the University and serves as a liaison with key partners in furthering the goals of the Center. Coordinates with the Spatial Resources Manager to identify, acquire, and use appropriate data and resources for projects and curriculum development and provide support in the areas of geodatabase design and implementation, cartographic design and development, and product quality assurance/control.
Reporting to the Director of Spatial Studies, this position provides leadership and support to students and faculty on the use of spatial technologies and data for instruction, learning, and research. This position may require traveling (domestic and international) and working beyond the normal workday including working some evenings and weekends as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Identifies, develops, and instructs appropriate pedagogical strategies for use of spatial technologies and applications of spatial thinking in instruction at the University.
- Develop GIS-based learning activities for faculty use in classroom instruction.
- Teaches introductory and advanced courses in GIS and spatial analysis.
- Periodically conduct workshops on various geospatial tools and applications.
- Serves as a liaison with Esri and other partners to further the goals of the Center.
- Develops and provides instruction to faculty and students on how to use spatial technologies supported by the Center.
- Supports student and faculty spatial projects.
- Supports faculty spatial instruction.
- Supervises and supports student interns.
- Participates in relevant university committees and provide administrative support and management as needed.
- Collaborates on geodatabase design and implementation for classroom instruction and student research projects.
- Collaborates on cartographic design and development.
- Conducts outreach for the Center to enhance the visibility of the Center’s and the University’s spatial programs, initiatives, and activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Any combination equivalent to, but not limited to, the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in GIS, Geography, Earth Science, Urban Planning, Humanities, Natural Sciences, STEM Education, Environmental Science, Social Sciences, or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Three years of experience in GIS, spatial, geospatial, or related experience. Experience in higher education is preferred.
- A valid California Class C CA drivers’ license with a good driving record is required. A current DMV printout demonstrating a good driving record will be required prior to offer of employment.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of Geographic information and related computer systems such as the ArcGIS software suite and related software tools.
- Knowledge of integrating spatially GIS from a wide variety of sources.
- Understanding of the principles and practices of geographic information science and cartography, including graphic design, data management and analysis.
- Ability to apply relevant pedagogical strategies for project-based learning in curriculum and activity design, classroom practice, and field research.
- Experience with technologies employed to gather spatially relevant data in field research, including GPS receivers, connected mobile devices, and unmanned aerial systems (UASs).
- Knowledge of applicable, federal, and state laws and regulations.
- Understand, interpret, and apply federal and state policies and laws.
- Effective organizational skills, ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work independently.
- Effective communication skills including the ability to write clearly and concisely.
- Proficient in computer skills using Microsoft Office Suite and other applications.
- Experience with staff and/or volunteer management and the ability to supervise, develop and mentor direct reports.
- Work independently in a multi-task-oriented environment
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and act with professionalism, sensitivity, and neutrality.
- Ability to use appropriate judgment when making decisions and recommendations.
- Aptitude to learn new and evolving technology related to mapping, GIS, and spatial studies.
- Ability to recommend appropriate courses of action within established guidelines.
- Ability to foster strong, positive relationships and align both internal and external resources to achieve university objectives.
- Must be able to competently interact with a culturally and ethnically diverse population of students, faculty, and staff.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
Standard office and field setting. Duties performed are primarily in an office environment while sitting at a desk or computer workstation or in meetings. At least minimal environmental controls to assure health and comfort. This position may require traveling (domestic and international) and working beyond the normal workday including working some evenings and weekends as needed.
Incumbents regularly sit for long periods; walk short distances on a regular basis; may travel to attend meetings and conduct work; use hands and fingers to operate an electronic keyboard or other office machines; reach with hands and arms; stoop or kneel or crouch to file; speak clearly and distinctly to answer telephones and to provide information; see to read fine print and operate computer; hear and understand voices over telephone and in person; and lift, carry and/or move objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
TO APPLY: Submit a resume/CV and cover letter with application. In compliance with The Americans with Disabilities Act, if selected for the interview process and accommodations are needed please call (909) 748-8040.
BACKGROUND CHECKS: The University of Redlands is committed to providing a safe campus community. As part of that commitment, the university conducts background checks for applicants being considered for employment.
INFORMATION REGARDING COVID-19: New employees are required to submit proof of having received the full course dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine including a booster or submit an exemption request for medical or religious reasons within sixty (60) days from your date of hire.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CALL 909-748-8040 OR VISIT
SUBMISSION OF A RESUME OR APPLICATION INDICATES AGREEMENT THAT THE UNIVERSITY MAY VERIFY ANY AND ALL INFORMATION CONTAINED THEREIN.
MEMBERS OF UNDERREPRESENTED GROUPS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Bachelors or better.
3 years: Three years of experience in GIS, spatial, geospatial, or related experience. Experience in higher education is preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
|Job Category||Earth Science, Geo-informatics, Geography, Planning, RS and GIS|
One thought on “Spatial Instruction Manager-GIS”
does this position accept online job if so I would like to apply for this.
I hold a Masters degree in GIS/Remote Sensing.
I will send you my detailed resume once I hear from you.