- Organization: UNDP
- Location: New Delhi, India
- Deadline: 14/12/2021, 11:59 pm
- Degree Level: First Terminal University Level Qualification 4 years or more
Job Description (Remote Sensing Associate)
BackgroundUNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Indian agricultural producers make a critical economic contribution to the country but face a number of challenges in securing household income and ensuring food security. A key challenge comprises crop failures and yield losses, triggered by the vagaries of climate. These put at risk the livelihood of a large proportion of India’s population viz. 138 million farm families, constituting the largest private enterprise and contributing more than 18% contribution to national GDP. Agricultural production shocks have huge social and financial repercussions, impacting rural income levels, Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and poverty rates. The Government of India’s flagship scheme Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY), compensates farmers for crop losses. The scheme insures farmers against a wide range of external risks — droughts, dry spells, floods, inundation, pests and diseases, landslides, natural fire and lightning, hailstorms, cyclones, typhoons, tempests, hurricanes, and tornadoes. While insuring farmers against crop losses is not a new initiative, the PMFBY constitutes a serious attempt to plug gaps identified in earlier crop insurance schemes viz. the National Agriculture Insurance Scheme (NAIS) introduced in 1999 and the Modified NAIS (mNAIS) introduced in 2011. UNDP’s Country Programme Document (2018-2022) approved by the Government of India defines “Institutional and Systems Strengthening for Service Delivery” to be one of its foremost programme priorities and the single most important innovation for achieving last mile developmental impact. UNDP leverages its expertise in systems strengthening to support the Ministry of Agriculture through setting up a Technical Support Unit (TSU) for the implementation of PMFBY, to improve institutional and programme responsiveness, increase coverage and better access among marginalized and excluded farm households, offering innovative measures for risk management and reduced crop loss for the rural population in India. The TSU will also focus on providing Capacity Building and Training support to participating state-level government departments involved in PMFBY and advancing the scheme among new states for improved uptake
Duties and Responsibilities
The Remote Sensing Associate will be based in New Delhi and shall work under the guidance and supervision of the NPC – Technical Support Unit. The incumbent shall also be responsible for working closely with other consultants and will undertake the following responsibilities:
- Facilitate for implementation of Remote Sensing Technology (RST) data-driven Smart Sampling, CCE Optimization, two-step yield estimation, direct crop yield estimation approaches.
- Coordination with different stakeholders for conducting pilot studies/scaling-up of technology to complement Climate Cutting Experiments (CCEs).
- Applications of mobile technology to CCE’s.
- Facilitate research and development into RST for crop Yield estimation to complement CCEs particularly focusing on the states.
- Coordinate with Capacity Building team to organize technology-related training to different stakeholders.
- Provide inputs to training on the application of RST and mobile technology to CCE where necessary.
- Close liaison with Indian and specialist Remote Sensing Institutes, Universities, and other organizations doing research into technology application in agriculture for crop damage and yield estimation.
- Liaise with UNDP, Ministry of Agriculture, relevant government agencies, and all project partners, for effective coordination of all project inputs.
- Provide technical backstopping for inputs for training activities supported by the Project.
- Provide timely inputs for the timely submission of all progress reports as may be required by UNDP, the Ministry of Agriculture.
- Foster partnerships with key national and state government departments and relevant technical institutions working on technology solutions for CCE and agriculture.
- Support the Senior Remote sensing Specialist for successful achievement of the project objectives.
- Perform any other tasks consistent with the level of the post and/ or assigned by the Head – TSU; Joint Secretary, DoAC&FW, MoA&FW.
Competencies Job Knowledge/ Technical skills
- Sound knowledge and experience in remote sensing application particularly Agriculture and soils.
- Broad-based knowledge of current rural insurance and finance, outreach to insurers and implementing agencies.
- Experience crop loss modeling or agricultural statistics will be an advantage.
- Demonstrates substantive and technical knowledge to meet responsibilities and requirements of the post with excellence.
- Possesses the capacity for strategic planning, result-based management, and reporting.
- Good communication skills.
- Tailors and presents information to diverse audiences using a variety of communication delivery methods (e.g., written, electronic, oral, interpersonal) Documentation.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Demonstrated skills connecting with a wide range of stakeholders – insurance agencies, insurance regulators, state agencies etc.
- Ability to participate and contribute consultative meetings at national and state levels with partners and senior stakeholders to identify priorities and manage the timely delivery of project activities.
- Reliable in delivering own parts of the work as part of a team effort.
- Demonstrates excellent work/project planning skills.
- Open to change and ability to manage complex, ever-changing environments
Required Skills and Experience Education:
- Minimum B.Sc./B. Tech/ B. Sc. (Tech) in Remote Sensing & GIS/ Geomatics/ Geoinformatics having Bachelor’s Degree. A Master’s Degree is desirable.
- At least 4 years experience in Remote Sensing & GIS data analysis or equivalent.
- At least 4 years of demonstrable experience in the insurance sector.
- Experience in Crop Cutting Experience in India to manage the CCE technology solution program with state-level agencies.
- Relevant Experience at the national level working with Governments and private entities in the insurance sector.
- Experience in working with Central and/or State Governments/ international agencies/ on similar assignments will be preferred.
- Prior experience in technical advisory services in the insurance sector.
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the organization.
- Excellent oral and writing skills in English and Hindi
- Limited travel as and when required to discharge official duties.
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders) Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment. UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications. Applicant information about UNDP rosters Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
For more GIS Job Vacancies: Click Here
|Job Category||Geo-informatics, RS and GIS|