- Deadline: Sunday 29th January 2023. Online interviews
- Organization: Newcastle University and the University of Nottingham,
Description: PhD Studentships
Looking for unrivalled PhD funding for research into smart cities, social inclusion, environmental sustainability or global challenges in the digital revolution?
“Everything happens somewhere”, and so a PhD in Geospatial Systems with elective interdisciplinary application may be just what you are looking for!
Newcastle University and the University of Nottingham, supported by 40+ industry partners, invite high-quality applications for our final cohort of a minimum of 11 fully-funded four-year (1+3) PhDs in the EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) in Geospatial Systems for September 2023 entry.
The Geospatial Systems CDT is training a world-leading generation of engineers, scientists and practitioners with advanced knowledge and skills in geospatial data science, including big data and artificial intelligence approaches. Successful applicants will conduct interdisciplinary PhD research with elective application into one or more of: smart cities; urban and infrastructure resilience; spatial mobility (transport); energy systems; sustainable spatial planning; structural monitoring; social inclusion and healthy living; environmental applications; the translation of geospatial methods to global challenges. Students will benefit from graduating with both a MRes in Geospatial Data Science (Year 1) and a PhD in Geospatial Systems (Year 4).
Benefits of joining our four-year fully-funded programme:
- Dual masters and doctoral qualifications – MRes (Year 1) + PhD (Year 4);
- Full fees and tax-free stipend for the entire 4-year duration of the training;
- An unrivalled research and training support grant (RTSG) to support your training and research, including funding for international placements;
- A friendly, supportive and inclusive cohort environment with contemporaries from diverse backgrounds;
- Direct access to experts and world-leading research facilities, in a bespoke training programme fully integrated between two leading UK universities;
- Conduct research into technical themes and application domains of your own choosing or choose from a list of available projects;
- Industry support for your research, leading to unparalleled employment opportunities, from 40+ partner institutions;
- A commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion, ensuring flexibility in all activities so that CDT participants with caring and family responsibilities are able to fully participate.
Funding and Eligibility
Successful applicants will receive full fees and an annual living allowance which is based on the UKRI 2023/24 rate (estimated minimum award £18,550). A substantive Research Training Support Grant (RTSG) of £22,000 to cover the costs for consumables, travel, conferences, and access to placement opportunities with industrial partners.
We welcome applications from Home and International (incl. EU) students from a range of backgrounds, including Computing, Engineering, Geography, Geomatics, Mathematics, Social Sciences, Physics, Economics and related disciplines, and are fully committed to equality, diversity and inclusion to ensure fair opportunity for all. Please note that there are a limited number of international awards available and fees are at UK home rate only, students may be required to top up to overseas rate.
How to apply
Applicants wishing to be considered for an EPSRC studentship should apply directly to Newcastle University or University of Nottingham quoting the relevant studentship code on their application and supporting documents.
Studentship codes can be found on each project outline, if you would like to submit your own research idea, please use code GEO23_00.
For general CDT and application enquiries, email: [email protected]. Specific enquiries to Professor Jon Mills (Newcastle: [email protected]) or Professor Stuart Marsh (Nottingham: [email protected]).
For more GIS Job Vacancies: Click Here
- Government GIS Jobs in India
- Government GIS Jobs in Canada
- PhD and Post-Doctoral Positions in Remote Sensing and GIS
|Job Category||Data Science, Geomatics, PhD/Post-Doc|