- Posted: Monday, December 12, 2022
- Job Number: PC-22-76
- Job Type: Permanent Full-time, Union
- Position Closing Date: Monday, January 9, 2023
The City of Barrie is a vibrant, progressive, and growing community with deep connections to our heritage, to nature and to the opportunities surrounding us.
Our community values quality of life; the ability to play year-round with 300 hectares of park space, our beautiful waterfront, our lively downtown core and the nearby hills, wetlands, and forests. We also value connections; to our neighbours and the community, to our road and rail network, and to the opportunity Barrie provides to enjoy life.
Everything Barrie has to offer, from the water we drink to the roads we travel on, has one thing in common – municipal workers. Joining a municipality is one of the most rewarding, engaging, and exciting careers you could choose. It is a career you can take pride in knowing that every day you make a positive impact on an entire community. We are one team, with one goal and we all work together to continue making our community great.
The Information Technology Department provides information technology expertise and professional services to all City departments, affiliated agencies (Barrie Public Library, Barrie Police Services) and area municipalities receiving Barrie fire dispatch services. The Department is responsible for delivering, administering, managing and supporting (in partnership with the business units) all data and voice communications, including but not limited to network infrastructure, servers, storage infrastructure, printers, computing infrastructure, applications and software, databases, web services, geographic information systems, and project and portfolio management. The Department provides daily technology support to over 1100 users at more than 40 City locations across the City.
Under the general guidance and direction of the Supervisor of GIS Operations, the GIS Specialist position is responsible for the ongoing creation and maintenance of corporate GIS spatial and attribute data, which involves data entry, editing, format conversion, and quality control. Additionally, this position produces maps; reviews municipal drawings; and completes various reporting and analysis tasks such as queries, geo-processing, scripting, and tabular summaries. Furthermore, this position provides end-user GIS technical support. Overall, this position plays an integral role in the management of spatial and GIS data, which is integrated with the operations of various City systems and supports city-wide programs, projects, and initiatives such as business planning, asset management and land use planning.
Our Culture and Qualifications of the Job
- Your workplace values align with our corporate values of Strive, Share and Care and you want to join us in providing exceptional services and programs to build a prosperous, growing and sustainable community
- Two (2) year College Diploma in Resource Mapping Technician, Environmental Technician or related discipline, AND
- One (1) year College Certificate in Geographic Information Systems or related discipline
- Two (2) years of experience performing duties related to the above mentioned major responsibilities
- Demonstrated experience within a GIS or Geomatics work environment
- General knowledge of the following principles and standards: data management procedures
- Working knowledge of the following principles and standards: GIS principles, cartography, mapping systems, geodatabases,
assets and operations; web based technologies as they relate to web mapping
- Demonstrated Ability to:
- accurately read and interpret maps, engineering drawings, legal surveys and development plans
- analyze spatial data and translate client requirements into appropriate GIS reports and cartographic thematic maps
- develop and maintain collaborative and effective working relationships
- digitize information and create, maintain, query and view GIS data, and perform spatial analysis and geoprocessing
- maintain up-to-date knowledge of current GIS trends and best practices
- commit to practice effective data management procedures
- Intermediate skills include: Analytical; Customer Service; Interpersonal; Organizational; Problem Solving; Time
Management; Verbal Communication; Written Communication
- Basic computer literacy using the following systems and software: Autodesk Suite (AutoCAD), for tasks related to
- Intermediate computer literacy using the following systems and software: Microsoft Office Suite (Access, Excel, Outlook and
Word), Adobe and the Internet
- Advanced computer literacy using the following systems and software: ESRI Suite
- Availability, as assigned, to assist with after-hours questions, concerns, or emergencies
Conditions of Employment
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check*
*Please note that this is a requirement of the position for any new employees to the City of Barrie in accordance with the Police Record Check Procedure. Existing employees will be grandparented from this requirement.
Other Important Information
Location: City Hall, 70 Collier Street, Barrie, Ontario,
*Please note the City has recently launched a Hybrid Work Program Procedure that may allow a hybrid work arrangement for employees who meet the eligibility requirements.
Hours: The normal hours of work are 35 hours per week in accordance with the Collective Agreement.
Wage: This position is within the CUPE Local 2380 Bargaining Unit with the following pay level and 2023 pay range:
- Pay Level: Level 6
- Yearly Salary: $61,497.80 to $73,710.00 per year
- Hourly Pay Rate: $33.79 to $40.50 per hour
Benefits: This position includes a comprehensive union benefit plan, including but not limited to extended health and dental coverage, life and accident insurance, paid vacation and sick days, short/long term disability plans, OMERS pension plan, discounted rate for City Fitness Memberships and much more.
Don’t meet the credentials as outlined but have years of directly related experience? Please see the City’s Education Equivalency Procedure to determine if you may qualify for equivalency. Further information is available at www.barrie.ca/JobOpps.
- Position Equivalency Code: D
Please note that verification of educational credentials will be required from the preferred candidate prior to an employment offer.
The City of Barrie is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices and we will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise if you require Code-protected accommodation and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Disclaimer: The job posting has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this position title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of employees to do this position. For full position details, please request a copy of the Job Description by emailing [email protected].
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- More Remote Sensing and GIS Jobs in Canada: Click Here
|Job Category||Data Science, Geo-informatics, Geography|