- Organization: City of Mason City
- Location: Mason City, Iowa, 50401
- Deadline: 4:30pm, February 18th, 2022
Job Description (GIS Analyst):
Description: The City of Mason City is seeking a full-time Geographic Information System (GIS) Analyst. This position supports the City’s use of Geographic Information System as a management decision-support tool while establishing and maintaining an effective working relationship with City department heads, GIS users, county GIS and IT staff, representatives of other public agencies, contractors, consultants and the general public.
Salary: Starting at $54, 787/year, salary negotiable. Duties/Responsibilities
- Establish and maintain a citywide GIS system.
- Assist in budget preparation pertaining to GIS, including hardware, software, and training.
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide customer service. Coordinate the needs of various city departments, with secondary consideration to non-city agencies to determine the direction, type and scope of the GIS.
- Actively promote and work to establish GIS as a meaningful management tool. Develop and implement a GIS education program for staff. Attend regular meetings with staff from various departments, and some outside agencies, to establish working relations and share knowledge of the GIS initiative. Help staff with implementing GIS client software and solving problems related to it.
- Develops and maintains links between various databases, programs and creates interfaces with GIS.
- Utilizes GIS and other resources to perform data analysis. Compiles data, updates database and mapping; performs requested analyses; prepares related reports. Establishes plats for proposed projects.
- Coordinates with the City’s interdepartmental GIS system including database management, maintenance, customizing/programming, upgrading and mapping. Participates as a member of the interdepartmental GIS Committee, which is responsible for overall planning, and integration of organizational data and mapping.
- Receives inquiries, complaints, and comments from the general public and responds to them in a courteous manner. Evaluates issues and options regarding recommendations.
- Serves as backup to the Network Administrator as needed.
- Conducts mapping research, in the field or in the office to resolve conflicting information and ensure accuracy of the data. Assists in maintaining records.
Education and Experience
- Associate’s degree from a nationally recognized accredited college or university with emphasis in geography, GIS, public administration, computer science or a closely related field. Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Three (3) years of full-time experience involving coordination of geographic mapping, planning, and GIS data maintenance and analysis.
- Equivalent education and experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and GIS software.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Thorough professional knowledge of geographic mapping systems technology, ArcGIS Map, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, Arc Enterprise, MS Excel, MS Word, and Structure Query Language (SQL). Network software (Windows 10, Server 2016 or newer) and relational database management systems are all desired skills. Possess a working knowledge of Structured Query Language (SQL).
- Skill in operating the listed tools and equipment;
- Ability to perform job responsibilities in an accurate and efficient manner.
- Have experience and a solid understanding of maps and of cartographic principles. Possess cartographic interpretation skills, particularly as they apply to understanding parcel maps, zoning maps, plat maps and engineering blueprints.
- Ability to prepare and analyze complex requests and reports; maintain efficient and effective GIS systems/procedures; and carry out assigned projects to completion.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, city officials, agency representatives and the public; ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality with sensitive and restricted information.
Applications accepted until 4:30pm, February 18th, 2022Equal Opportunity Employer
For more GIS Job Vacancies: Click Here
|Job Category||Geo-informatics, Govt GIS Jobs, RS and GIS|