- Location: Gurugram, India
- Company: Steer
Geospatial data and analytics are vital tools in understanding the world around us in a way that is efficient, objective, and engaging. Our Geospatial Analytics team specializes in deriving meaning from complexity, transforming big data into insightful and engaging visual stories through rigorous analysis, geospatial tools, data visualization, and narrative to help build understanding and drive decision-making. Our visualizations are always designed with the end audience placed at the forefront. We’ve delivered innovative geospatial analysis and cartographic outputs for over 20 years and are looking for a creative, motivated, and proactive GIS Consultant to evolve our India advisory offer.
The Steer India office has been successfully operating for almost 5 years. We offer a small office environment and work on a wide variety of high-profile transportation projects including toll road advisory, aviation transactions, urban transport planning as well as e-mobility. The candidate will support the core India team to deliver GIS and mapmaking aspects of consulting projects. The candidate will be expected to work effectively with ‘virtual’ project teams across our international offices and be able to travel in India and overseas if required.
As a GIS Consultant at Steer’s India office, you will be required to:
- Join a global geospatial analytics and cartography team and deliver day-to-day GIS and mapmaking work for a growing, motivated and energetic team of consultants in India;
- Have the ability to make sense of complex transport datasets in order to visualise, analyse and present, often working to tight deadlines;
- Create connections and learn from experienced consultants and cartographers both in India and other Steer offices;
- Document GIS data, processes and outputs in presentations and Word reports;
- Improvise on the existing GIS and cartography offer that feeds into various India projects, with improved infographics and aesthetics by pushing the boundaries of geospatial analysis and representation
You will need to demonstrate the following:
- Analysis and storytelling through visualisation – to be able to use GIS and mapmaking tools to clean, analyse and present geo-spatial data in a high-quality visually powerful manner;
- Understanding and knowledge of geospatial data sources in India, along with at least two years of project experience in using such data;
- Education up to at least bachelor’s degree in one of the following disciplines – Engineering, Urban/Transport Planning, Geography, or any other relevant subject. Masters with specialisation having a geospatial focus is an added advantage;
- Experience in relevant software tools: GIS (ArcMap, QGIS, etc.), cartography (MAPublisher), design (Illustrator, Indesign, etc.);
- Strong communication skills including:
- Fluency in spoken and written English;
- Experience in communicating effectively with task and project managers;
- Ability to interact with colleagues from international offices;
- Ability to confidently explain complex analysis to non-specialists via reporting and presentations;
- Prior experience and understanding of the Indian geography and/or highway network is preferable;
- Coding experience in R or python is a bonus;
Why join us
We believe in empowering our people and giving them the opportunities to shine. Being an employee-owned company means that our people are dedicated and passionate about what they do, and it is the reason why we are at the forefront of our industry.
Steer is an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications regardless of age, race, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy/maternity or gender. Part time and flexible working applications will be considered.