Lund University, Faculty of Science, Department of Physical Geograhy and Ecosystem Science
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has around 44 000 students and more than 8 000 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset.
The employment as research engineer is for work within the project SITES Spectral, financed through an infrastructure grant from the Swedish Research Council to the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences.
SITES is a Swedish infrastructure for long-term ecosystem research (https://www.fieldsites.se) at a number of Swedish field stations. Within this infrastructure, Lund University manages SITES Spectral, which carries out collection and processing of spectral remote sensing data. We are now entering the third phase of the project, with financing 2023-2028. Our task is to coordinate collection and processing of data from drone photography, phenological cameras, spectral measurement instruments, and satellite observations.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, thorough and service oriented colleague who will work with remotely sensed data from the SITES field stations. Data is organised and processed from raw measurements to data products published in the SITES data portal. The work includes radiometric and geometric processing of drone imagery, creation of digital elevation models and orthophotos, radiometric processing of data from spectral sensors, calibration of spectral sensors, processing of time series of phenological camera images, downloading and extraction of satellite sensor data (Sentinel-2), quality control, integration of data in GIS, meta data production, documentation, and information work and communication with SITES staff. Programming of workflows is carried out in a Python environment. The employment as research engineer primarily revolves around technical work but is carried out in a scientific environment where interests for research questions is an important aspect.
- Master in Geomatics, Surveying, GIS, Physical geography or similar subject, with a large component of remote sensing and GIS.
- Experience in work with image data from UAV/drones, including radiometric and geometric correction and generation of data products
- Experience in analysis of data from spectral sensors
- Experience in analysis of data from phenological cameras
- Experience in analysis of satellite imagery for vegetation analysis
- Experience in GIS software, e.g. ArcGIS or QGIS
- Documented skill in Python programming
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Familiarity with meta data handling, databases etc.
- Experiences as drone pilot
- Experiences of Linux as well as Windows
- Experiences in production of reports and/or scientific articles
- Other documented communication skills
The assessment of applicants will be based on merits according to the above listed criteria. We will also consider personal suitability for the position. Consideration will also be given to diligence, collaborative skills, and independence.
Terms of employment
The position is full time, probational for six months and will after assessment be converted to non time-limited employment.
Instructions on how to apply
The application shall be written in English and include:
- List of qualifications / CV, including descriptions of courses relevant for the application
- Personal motivation for the application describing the suitability for the position. Please include a point-by-point description of how the applicant matches each of the listed qualifications for the position
- Contact information for at least two professional references
- Copy of examination certificates for master or higher education, and possible other documents that the applicant wants to quote.
The Faculty of Science conducts research and education within Biology, Astronomy, Physics, Geosciences, Chemistry, Mathematics and Environmental Science. The Faculty is organized into nine departments, gathered in the northern campus area. The Faculty has approximately 1500 students, 330 PhD students and 700 employees.
We kindly decline all sales and marketing contacts.
|Type of employment||Probationary period|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||2022-11-01 or according to agreement|
|Number of positions||1|
|Contact||Lars Eklundh, professor, [email protected],+46462229655Tina Olsson, human resource officer, [email protected],+46462224853|
|Union representative||OFR/ST:Fackförbundet ST:s kansli, 046-2229362SACO:Saco-s-rådet vid Lunds universitet, 046-2229364SEKO: Seko Civil, 046-2229366|
|Last application date||19.Oct.2022 11:59 PM CEST|
|Job Category||Geo-informatics, Geomatics, RS and GIS|