- Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada
- Department: Geography and Planning
- Status: Term
- Employment Group: Out of Scope
- Full Time Equivalent (FTE): 1
- Salary: $34.75/hr
- Salary Family (if applicable):
- Salary Phase/Band: Not Applicable
- Posted Date: 2/14/2023
- Closing Date: 3/27/2023
- Number of Openings: 1
- Work Location: On Campus
Job Description (Remote Sensing Analyst)
Primary Purpose: To provide technical expertise in land cover classification modeling to develop and update landcover mapping for southern Saskatchewan, with a focus on the ability to distinguish native and tame grasslands. To contribute to the development of data standards and data management protocols for programs; liaise with a wide variety of internal and external clients to facilitate timely and efficient data receipt and acquisition, and assess, analyze, and manage large and comprehensive datasets.
Nature of Work: This position is office-based, remote work is not acceptable.
Typical Duties or Accountabilities:
The Prairie Landscape Inventory (PLI) Plus by developing a reliable and current map of the distribution of native, mixed native and tame, and tame grasslands in the Cypress Upland and Boreal Transition ecoregions.
Develop a remote sensing-based method to historically track native grassland extent in Saskatchewan.
Education: Master’s Degree in Geographic Information Systems, Data Science, Geomatics, Engineering, or other technical disciplines.
Experience: 3+ years of experience with GIS and remote sensing
- Experience working with and manipulating historical Sentinel and Landsat satellite data products.
- Experience working with image processing software such as PCI Geomatica, ENVI, and/or eCognition.
- Experience designing and maintaining online field surveys to collect ground truthing data to support land cover classification and accuracy assessment.
- Ability to perform quality assurance/quality control on data.
- Familiarity with grassland/agricultural systems.
- Ability to communicate complex technical topics to non-technical staff and clients.
Inquiries regarding this position can be directed to Xulin Guo at [email protected].
The successful applicant will be required to provide the following current verification(s) where ‘Yes’ is indicated below. Further information is available at: https://careers.usask.ca/tips-for-applying.php
Criminal Record Check: Not Applicable
Driver’s License and Abstract Check: Not Applicable
Education/Credential Verification: Not Applicable
Vulnerable Sector Check: Not Applicable
Please review the University of Saskatchewan’s health and safety requirements for faculty, staff and students in consideration of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The University believes equity, diversity, and inclusion strengthen the community and enhance excellence, innovation and creativity. We are dedicated to recruiting individuals who will enrich our work and learning environments. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. We are committed to providing accommodations to those with a disability or medical necessity. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please notify us and we will work together on the accommodation request. The University of Saskatchewan’s main campus is situated on Treaty 6 Territory and the Homeland of the Métis. We pay our respects to the First Nations and Métis ancestors of this place and reaffirm our relationship with one another. Together, we are uplifting Indigenization to a place of prominence at the University of Saskatchewan.
For more GIS Job Vacancies: Click Here
- Government GIS Jobs in India
- Government GIS Jobs in Canada
- PhD and Post-Doctoral Positions in Remote Sensing and GIS
|Job Category||Canada Govt GIS Jobs, Geo-informatics|