- Organization: Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon
- Location: Geesthacht, Germany
Job Description (geoscientific modelling and data analysis):
In our Institute for Coastal Systems – Analysis and Modelling we are looking for a postdoctoral esearcher in the field of geoscientific modelling and data analysis to start as soon as possible – limited – for a period of 3 years.
Within the framework of the BMBF-funded project “TECHNOLOGIEPLATTFORM H2MARE” and the project “MarEns”, meteomarine data sets are needed to determine security risks and climate change impacts. The already existing data sets will be extended by ensemble members that include both existing and future offshore wind farms in their interaction with the atmosphere and the ocean.
Your task in this context will be to apply and extend the existing Hereon model system GCOAST to account for the influences of wind farms. In this application, the GCOAST system includes the regional climate models COSMO-CLM or ICON-CLM and the regional ocean model NEMO. Further information about GCOAST can be found on the website
Furthermore, your tasks will include developing strategies with project partners from industry and commerce to use the results of the model simulations synergetically with the industrial measurement data in order to make statements on logistical and safety-relevant questions in the offshore operation of technical plants. The cooperation in the project requires the processing of large amounts of data, which should be usable in applications from different disciplines.
Equality of opportunity is an important part of our personnel policy. We would therefore strongly encourage qualified women to apply for the position.
- further development of the wind farm parameterisation in the coupled model
- statistical analysis and evaluation of existing climate model calculations and model simulations with the coupled model system GCOAST
- cooperation with the project partners of H2MARE
- publication of results and reporting according to milestones and deliverables of the project
- university degree in geosciences (geoinformatics, geography, oceanography, meteorology or comparable)
- demonstrable knowledge or experience in the use of statistical methods
- experience in model development
- experience in programming as well as in processing and analysing scientific data
- ability to work independently and in a team
- experience in scientific publishing
- ability to work in an interdisciplinary or transdisciplinary manner
We offer you
- multinational work environment with ca. 1,100 colleagues from more than 50 nations extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- remuneration according to the standards of the collective wage agreement TV-AVH including further social benefits
- free employee advice – Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- childcare offers
- Welcome Office, guest accommodation
- canteen at the Geesthacht location
Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
Then we are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive application documents (cover letter, CV, transcripts, certificates etc.) indicating the reference number 2021/KS 11.
For Similar positions: Click Here
|Job Category||Geography, Geoscience, Oceanography, PhD/Post-Doc, RS and GIS|