- Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Jobs Description: GIS Technician
Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the country, serving as Arizona’s center of government, commerce, and culture. It is emerging in the new economy with strength in high technology, manufacturing, bioscience research and advanced business services. Phoenix is a young, progressive city, brimming with sports and cultural attractions, distinctive restaurants, fascinating museums, diverse residential options, and endless outdoor opportunities.
The Street Transportation Department is seeking to fill a GIS Technician position with the Asset Location Systems team. This position provides geospatial support to the organization by leveraging the latest data management and curation techniques, cartographic skills, and a sound understanding of industry standards for supporting web-based geospatial solutions.
Responsibilities will focus on:
- Street Department assets which are non-moveable, outside the building, and directly related to the transportation infrastructure.
- Using ESRI software to edit and maintain spatial transportation asset data, along with data conversion from non-spatial to spatial data.
- Creating maps.
- Ad-hoc project requests as needed.
- Adhering to QA/QC procedures to ensure quality results.
This position offers a great opportunity to work with an innovative team and learn more about the utilization of GIS within the City of Phoenix.
- Proficiency with GIS software such as ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Desktop (10.7 or higher), ArcGIS Enterprise, and ArcGIS Online.
- Ability to digitize, perform queries, and use geoprocessing tools to manipulate GIS data.
- Familiarity with transportation assets, such as pavement, signals, sidewalks, curb ramps, streetlights, bikeways.
- Desire to better understand asset management and transportation related GIS.
- Ability to effectively communicate GIS related functions with end-users or staff.
- Ability to produce aesthetically sound maps and generate reports.
$21.94 (minimum) – $32.26 (maximum) hourly / $45,635.20 – $67,100.80 annually.
A comprehensive benefits package is offered which includes traditional pension with employer and employee contributions; choice of medical HMO, PPO, or HSA/HDHP plan; wellness incentive of up to $720 annually; dental; vision; life insurance; long-term disability; 401(a) and 457 plans; medical enrollment includes a monthly $150 City contribution to a Post-Employment Health Plan; bus/light rail pass; tuition reimbursement program; paid time off includes 12.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, and 15 sick days and personal leave days. Additionally, effective 10/1/2022, Paid Parental Leave is now offered to eligible employees up to 480 hours (12 weeks) of paid leave for the birth, adoption or foster care placement of a child during a 12-month period.
- Associate’s degree or equivalent course work at a technical or vocational school, in geographic information systems, geography, planning, landscape architecture, civil engineering, computer science, or a related field; Bachelor’s or Master’s degree preferred.
- OR Two years of experience working with geographic information systems.
- Other combinations of experience and education that meet the minimum requirements may be substituted.
All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
Some positions require the use of personal or City vehicles on City business. Individuals must be physically capable of operating the vehicles safely, possess a valid driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record. Use of a personal vehicle for City business will be prohibited if the employee is not authorized to drive a City vehicle or if the employee does not have personal insurance coverage.
The minimum qualifications listed above, plus:
- Experience working with geographic information systems.
- Experience editing and maintaining GIS data.
- Experience reading and interpreting as-builts.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online by completing the required information and attaching, as one document, your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. Only the highest qualified may be posted to the eligible to hire list. The results of the resume screening process will be sent to your primary email address.
Similar GIS Jobs: Click here
|Job Category||Geoscience, RS and GIS|