- Organization: Washington County Arkansas
- Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas
Job Description (GIS Manager )
GIS Manager directs, coordinates, and monitors Washington County’s Geographic Information System (GIS) activities in the County Judges Office, Sheriffs Office, Department of Emergency Management, County Clerks Office, Road Department and Planning Department. Bachelors Degree in Geographic Information Systems, Computer Science or related field plus 8 years of experience, three years of experience in the use of ArcGIS Desktop and relational data base, 5 years of management experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Creates custom GIS applications to meet specific user needs, ranging from spatial data
conversion programs to interface designs that support inexperienced users.
• Participates in the planning and design of enterprise GIS architecture, in coordination
with the IT Director and IT Staff.
• Understands customer requirements and develops GIS applications, GIS mapping
responsibilities, countywide mapping functions, and automation tools to meet the
County’s business needs.
• Creates and maintain process automation related to data maintenance.
• Develops and maintain geospatial datasets.
• Maintains GIS software programs for County Offices.
• Responsible for GIS Analysis, GIS Modeling, Data Integration & Conversion,
Geocoding, and Geomatics.
• Responsible for supervising a team of 2-3 GIS technicians in multiple offices, including
work assignments, delegation and oversight.
• Serves as subject matter expert on GIS and assures effective communication of GIS
• Analyzes problems and recommends solutions to meet standards and guidelines; prepares
special and recurring reports and proposals for work projects, contracts, and GIS
• Analyzes spatial data to discover patterns and trends through the use of ESRI software.
• Recommends new GIS technologies and techniques for application development.
• Mentors Junior and Mid-level GIS team members to ensure skills transfer for systems
under this position’s oversight.
• Serves as final tier of internal support escalation for GIS Systems.
• Leads large scale GIS projects for the IT Department under the guidance of the IT
Director and IT Project Manager.
• Conducts use-case analysis of business functions to establish GIS application
requirements and geospatial data model requirements.
• Participates in the creation of enterprise GIS documents (policies, standards, baselines,
guidelines and procedures) in coordination with the IT.
• Develops mapping applications and tools.
• Provides quality assurance/quality control (QA/QC) of GIS data entry and related GIS
• Produces reports that utilize geographic data
• Attend GIS and, attend conferences as an attendee and speaker, and participate in
Northwest Arkansas Regional Planning meetings.
• Performs simple to complex spatial analysis to assist with information gathering and
decision-making, including the ability to create and run models in ArcGIS, write scripts
using Python, and perform network and 3D analysis.
• Provides technical assistance and support for GIS users, including troubleshooting,
diagnostics, problem resolution and general question response.
• Develops web mapping applications and geo-processing tools to support GIS.
• Conducts end user training and develop end user documentation, which may include
classroom and face to face training.
• Manages special projects, which may include prioritizing, training and guiding other
employees in the Countyt.
• Coordinates with other governmental entities to ensure compatibility of data, and
compliance with regional and state standards.
• Meets with supervisors, vendors, and others to solicit cooperation and resolve problems.
• Responds in a courteous and professional manner to requests for information and services
• County staff, citizens, other governmental agencies, businesses, and non-profit
• Independent judgment, discretion and due diligence must be consistently exercised in the
performance of the job duties and responsibilities. Maintain confidentiality of
information as appropriate.
• Carries out duties independently with little to no supervision.
• Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty mentioned
satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree in Geographic Information Systems, Computer Science, Geography, Surveying, and Engineering or related field, plus (8) years of experience. Three years of experience in the use of ArcGIS Desktop and its related extensions and relational databases. 5 years of management and supervisory experience over multiple member staff preferred. Proficiency with Python and other front end design languages such as HTML, and CSS is also preferred. One year of project management experience with budget responsibilities must be
included in the three years of experience. Broad knowledge of such fields as computer programming, systems, GIS Systems. Spatial analysis, etc.
Thorough understanding of project/program management techniques and methods. The incumbent for this position would example outstanding leadership and organizational skills, excellent communication skills and excellent problem solving skills. Must be able to organize work so as to work with limited supervision and use own judgment to resolve problems in a timely and proficient manner. Knowledge of computer terminology and a need for accuracy and attention to detail is required. Good communication and problem solving skills as well as analytical ability are necessary. Machine skills include computer, printers, imaging computer systems, fax machine, copier and calculator.
Detailed Information about Post: Click Here
For more GIS Job Vacancies: Click Here
|Job Category||Computer Science, Geo-informatics, Geography, RS and GIS|
One thought on “GIS Manager”
i am interested