- Organization: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- Location: Istanbul, TURKEY
GIS Fellow Jobs opening at United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
|Location :||Istanbul, TURKEY|
|Application Deadline :||21-Aug-23 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Type of Contract :||Other|
|Post Level :||Other|
|Languages Required :||English French|
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||6 months|
UNDP works in about 170 countries and territories, helping to eradicate poverty, reduce inequalities and exclusion, and build resilience so countries can sustain progress. As the UN’s development agency, UNDP plays a critical role in helping countries achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
The Istanbul International Center for Private Sector in Development (IICPSD) is the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) global organization mandated to leverage the role of the private sector in development. The IICPSD was established in Istanbul, Turkey based on the Partnership Framework Agreement signed between the Government of the Republic of Turkey and the United Nations Development Program in March 2011. The center is one of the six global thematic policy centers of UNDP, supports the private sector and foundations to become transformative partners in development through research, advocacy, facilitation of public-private dialogue and brokering partnerships. IICPSD leads UNDP’s global work on private sector and foundations and supports UNDP’s offices all around the world.
FELLOWSHIP OFFICE BACKGROUND:
The SDG AI Lab is a joint initiative of UNDP BPPS (Bureau for Policy and Programme Support) team, and it is hosted under UNDP IICPSD. The SDG AI Lab provides research, development, and advisory support through cutting-edge digital solutions in harnessing the potential of Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML) and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) for sustainable development. The Lab aims to strengthen the UNDP’s internal and its partners’ capacities for the increasing demand for digital transformation. In addition, SDG AI Lab mobilizes volunteer data scientists under the Supporting Digital Transformation through Volunteerism partnership between UNDP IICPSD and United Nations Volunteers (UNV). Volunteer Data Scientist Initiative connects UNDP teams and data scientists to address development challenges such as Covid-19, disaster response, poverty, climate change and others.
The objective of the Data Science Fellowship is to provide the opportunity to work on how to deploy frontier technologies such as GIS, Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning, on development issues. In particular, the Fellow will contribute to geographic data acquisition, data analysis, modelling, deployment and visualizations efforts.
Duties and Responsibilities
|No||Duties and responsibilities||% of time|
|1||Research and knowledge products developmentConduct research on application of GIS, Remote Sensing and Machine Learning (ML) approaches to development issuesDraft analytical briefs summarizing the project findings and methodologies accessible to the general public audienceConduct the data maintenance and data acquisition activities of the SDG AI Lab||30 %|
|2||Development and implementation of digital solutions for SDGs utilizing GISUse geospatial data processing and analysis techniques to build, maintain, and improve on analytics, large datasets organization to get actionable insights from them.Assist the creation of maps, infographics, and other cartographic products using software such as QGIS or ArcGIS.Develop GIS and Machine Learning (ML) solutions to tackle issues in the field of economic and international developmentManage and document the complete GIS project implementation process from conception to implementation||60 %|
|3||OtherProvide as needed support to the Technical Specialist as required for, amongst others, participating in meetings, conferences, providing administrative support, drafting meeting minutes and performing other functions and duties Contribute to the SDG AI Lab’s Volunteer Data Scientists Initiative through advancing the volunteer engagement in SDGs related projects||10 %|
- Strong programming skills, preferably Python
- Practical experience in implementing automated workflows with geodata and scripting, particularly with Jupyter Notebook (or similar) for showcasing processes and results
- Proven experience with GIS software and libraries such as QGIS or ArcGIS, GDAL, Rasterio, Geopandas, Fiona or similar required
- Experience with Geoserver, PostGIS and other relational databases preferred
- Fluent in English with excellent reading and writing skills is required.
- Fluent in French with excellent reading and writing skills is required.
Other competencies and attitudes:
- Interest and motivation in working in an international organization
- Good analytical skills in gathering and consolidating data and research for practical implementation
- Outgoing and initiative-taking person with a goal-oriented mind-set
- Communicates effectively when working in teams and independently
- Good in organizing and structuring various tasks and responsibilities
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
Required Skills and Experience
Candidates must meet one of the following educational requirements:
- currently enrolled in a postgraduate programme (such as a master’s programme or higher)
- have graduated no longer than 2 years ago from a university degree or equivalent studies.
Field of study: Geographic Information Systems, Geography, Data Science, Geodesics, Cartography, Computer Science, Engineering, or similar
For more GIS Job Vacancies: Click Here
- Government GIS Jobs in India
- Government GIS Jobs in Canada
- PhD and Post-Doctoral Positions in Remote Sensing and GIS
- Other Country
|Job Category||Geo-informatics, Geography, RS and GIS|