Lund University, Faculty of Social Sciences (Human Geography)
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has around 46 000 students and more than 8 000 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset.
The doctoral candidate program amounts to 240 credits (equivalent to four years of full-time study). It formally ends with the doctoral candidate publicly defending his/her printed doctoral thesis. The holder of a doctoral position has as primary obligation to successfully fulfil the third cycle education ending with a PhD degree. Regulations concerning appointment as a full-time doctoral student can be found in the Higher Education Ordinance Chapter 5, 1-7 §§.
The holder of a doctoral position is expected to participate actively in the research and teaching environment of the department and may have to perform departmental duties, above all teaching, amounting to about 20 per cent of full time.
The holder of the position should direct research to the fields of human geography, preferably connected to ongoing research activities at the department (for further information see: https://www.keg.lu.se/en/research. More information on the PhD program at the Department of Human Geography is available at https://www.keg.lu.se/en/research/phd-education/phd-in-human-geography
To be eligible for third cycle studies an applicant must
• Have been awarded a second cycle degree
• Have completed studies the equivalent of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 credits are at the second cycle level, or
• Have acquired comparable qualifications in some other way in Sweden or abroad.
In addition to the requirements described above the specific entry requirements for the PhD program in Human Geography is a Master’s degree in Human Geography, or other relevant discipline. Exams must include independent work of at least 30 higher education credits, of which at least half is at the second cycle level. The applicant must also have proficiency in spoken and written English corresponding to English B from Swedish upper secondary school. The assessment will be based on national guidelines.
The employment of doctoral students is regulated in the Swedish Code of Statues 1998: 80. Only those who are or have been admitted to PhD studies may be appointed to doctoral candidate positions. When an appointment to such a position is made, the ability of the student to benefit from PhD studies shall primarily be taken into account. In addition to devoting themselves to their studies, those appointed to doctoral positions may be required to work with educational tasks, research and administration, in accordance with specific regulations in the ordinance.
Basis of Assessment:
In accordance with the Higher Education Ordinance Chapter 5, paragraph 5, particular emphasis for admission shall be placed upon the applicant’s ability to successfully complete PhD studies, as indicated by academic qualifications and merits.
Applications will further be reviewed according to the following criteria:
• Pertinence (and originality) of the proposed research in relation to human-geographical theory/
methodology and debates/problems.
• Ability to write and structure an academic text.
• Ability to engage coherently and realistically with theory and methodology.
• Possible contribution to the department and the department’s ability to support the proposed
The application must contain:
- Answer to the question: What do you want to research and why is it important and interesting? You can include key references (author and year, full reference in separate box below). Max. 4,000 characters (with spaces) in type-in box.
- Answer to the question: How does your proposed research engage with human-geographical theory/methodology and debates/problems? You should include key references (author and year, full reference in separate box below). Max. 4,000 characters (with spaces) in type-in box.
- List of references. Max. 10 references in type-in box.
- Name and contact information of 2-3 people we may contact for personal references (in type-in box).
- Curriculum vitae. Upload as a single pdf-format file.
- Copies of examination certificates and grades. Upload as a single pdf-format file.
Selected candidates will subsequently be asked to supplement their application with a concise research proposal and an example of written academic work, typically a master’s thesis.
The application must be in English and entered into the Lund University job application portal.
Type of employment
Limit of tenure, four years according to HF 5 kap 7§.
The Faculty of Social Sciences at Lund University is one of the leading education and research institutions in Sweden and operates both in Lund and Helsingborg.
The Department of Human Geography, with about 60 staff, 400 full-time students and about 20 doctoral students, combines ancient traditions with modern and highly internationalised research and education. The Department is one of the most research-intensive departments in the Faculty, with a high level of external funding. In the most recent international evaluations (RQ 08 and RQ 20) of Lund University, the Department’s research was rated as excellent in several areas. This strong position has developed further and the Department is ranked number 23 in the world according to QS 20, making it one of Lund University’s highest ranked disciplinary domains in 2022.
The Department of Human Geography combines a strong subject tradition with modern and internationally high-quality research and education. The Department has extensive international collaborations as well as strong networks and contacts within and outside the faculty at LU. Key research and teaching areas are economic geography, development geography, urban and social geography, human ecology and GIS.
We kindly decline all sales and marketing contacts.
|Type of employment||Temporary position|
|First day of employment||September 2023|
|Number of positions||1|
|Contact||Henrik Gutzon Larsen, Director of PhD Studies, [email protected];Natalie Nyman, HR coordinator, [email protected]|
|Union representative||OFR/ST:Fackförbundet ST:s kansli, 046-2229362SACO:Saco-s-rådet vid Lunds universitet, [email protected]: Seko Civil, 046-2229366|
|Last application date||20.Mar.2023 11:59 PM CET|
For more GIS Job Vacancies: Click Here
- Government GIS Jobs in India
- Government GIS Jobs in Canada
- PhD and Post-Doctoral Positions in Remote Sensing and GIS
|Job Category||Geo-informatics, Geography, PhD/Post-Doc|